As I promised last time I posted a crochet project, I actually made something for my daughter instead of doing another hat for myself. I had bought four skeins of yarn years ago and was in the process of making her a skirt when I just stopped. Mostly because the tight stitches were killing my fingers. Kids being kids, she quickly outgrew what little I had completed of it, so when I decided to get back to make something for her, I needed to start over. Luckily inspiration soon struck and I came up with a pattern for a poncho for her.
I was browsing around crochet sites for techniques for making blankets for another project idea I had and came across the ubiquitous granny square. I had never done a granny square before because I tend to skip the “hello, world” step of new hobbies and just jump right in. As I was looking at the instructions for how to do them, and realizing that they would be right for the blanket I want to make, it occurred to me that I could modify the basic granny square to make a panel that could be used for a poncho. By skipping some of the little squares in one corner of the granny square, I could essentially cut that corner off. If I made four panels like that and then stitched them together, I’d have a blanket with a hole in the middle, e.g. a poncho.
The process is easy enough to do. Once you have a granny square big enough to reach from about collar to belly button, you do a few more rows, but start replacing the sets of three double stitches in one corner with two chain stitches, slip stitching each small chain to the the stitch that the DC set would end on. For my daughter’s poncho, I did three more rows to build up the rest of the square and create the appropriate sized cut corner.
Once the final panel was finished, I just whipped stitched them together to form the body of the poncho. Then I cut short pieces of yarn to create the fringe. To easily cut those yarn pieces, I wrapped my yarn around an old gift wrap cardboard tube, put a line of painter’s tape up the length of the tube, then cut through the tube, yarn, and tape. That gave me the 348 pieces of yarn I needed to create the tassels in the 116 holes left around the edges. Yes, I counted.
The yarn I used was medium weight acrylic. I got four different variegated skeins and balled them up into three balls each. I then switched between the balls to create the multicolored pattern of the poncho. Every panel is different and she can rotate the poncho to present a different front to the world every time she wears it.
Now onto the boy’s requested hat!